La Società del Quartetto di Bergamo, quando si costituì, nel 1904, intendeva proseguire l’attività intrapresa dall’omonima progenitrice fondata nel 1875, per iniziativa di alcuni benemeriti cittadini, i quali ripresero sostanzialmente una tradizione instaurata da Giovanni Simone Mayr con l’istituzione dell’Unione Filarmonica.

A partire dal gennaio del 1905 è stata organizzata almeno una stagione concertistica ogni anno, ininterrottamente e con la sola eccezione del 1918 “per motivi nazionali”, chiamando a Bergamo molti dei più illustri esponenti del concertismo nazionale e internazionale di ogni tempo.

Alla sua “ripresa” nel 1904 si deve, fra l’altro, l’allestimento della prestigiosa e acusticamente impeccabile Sala “A. Piatti", avvenuto grazie alle sottoscrizioni di munifici cittadini che furono poi soci illustri del Sodalizio.

In più di un secolo di attività la Società del Quartetto di Bergamo ha acquistato un ragguardevole prestigio artistico e una lusinghiera notorietà anche all’estero, tanto che non pochi concertisti considerano un onore l’essere suoi ospiti e tutti indistintamente apprezzano sempre la particolare e partecipante attenzione con la quale sono accolti.

E’ annoverata tra gli enti e le associazioni ospiti del Concorso Pianistico Internazionale “F. Busoni” di Bolzano e del Concorso Internazionale di violino “Premio Paganini” di Genova, oltre ad essere stata per circa venti anni tra quelle del Concorso Pianistico Internazionale “E. Pozzoli” di Seregno, impegnandosi a scritturarne i vincitori nelle proprie stagioni.

La Società del Quartetto di Bergamo può ascrivere al proprio merito l’avere presentato in città, spesso per la prima volta, concertisti e musicisti quali – per ricordare solo i celeberrimi – Miecio Horzowski, Fritz Kreisler, Eugène Ysaye, Ferruccio Busoni, Pablo Casals, Enrico Mainardi, Wilhelm Backhaus, Ottorino Respighi, il Quartetto di Budapest, Béla Bartòk, Artur Rubinsteuin, Edwin Fischer, Walter Gieseking, Zino Francescatti, il Quartetto Busch, Antonio Janigro, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (pressoché debuttante nel 1940), Wilhelm Kempf, il Quartetto Italiano (agli esordi nel 1946), Alfred Cortot, il Trio di Bolzano, il Trio di Trieste, il Quartetto Vegh, Nikita Magaloff, Robert Casdesus, Friedrich Gulda, Aldo Ciccolini, l’Ottetto di Vienna, Joseph Szigheti, Alexander Brailowsky, Walter Klien, Gioconda De Vito, William Primrose, Francis Poulenc, Eric Solomon, il Quartetto Amadeus, Geza Anda, Claudio Arrau, il Quartetto Lasalle, Tibor Varga, il Wiener Konzerthaus Quartet, i Solisti di Zagabria, il Trio Suk, il Quartetto Tatrai, il Quartetto Janacek, Sviatoslav Richter, Paul Badura Skoda, Paul Tortelier, Salvatore Accardo, Barry Tuckwell, Uto Ughi, Rudolf Buchbinder, Narciso Yepez, Roman Vlad, il Quartetto Alban Berg, il Trio Beaux Arts, il Quarteto di Tel Aviv, Csaba Onczay, Jorge Demus, Liliya Zilberstein.

Negli ultimi anni ha ospitato tra gli altri e per la prima volta a Bergamo il Quartetto di Budapest, il Quartetto di Zagabria, David Geringas, il Quartetto Emerson, il Trio Ceco, Silvia Marcovici, Boris Petrushansky, Ilya Grubert, Boris Bloch col Quartetto Amati, Colin Carr, il Trio di Mosca, il Quarteto Kodály, Grigorij Sokolov, Lazar Berman, Michele Campanella. Una particolare attenzione è inoltre tradizionalmente riservata ai giovani talenti tra i quali ricordiamo Giuseppe Andaloro, Fabio Bidini,Gianluca Luisi, Sofya Gulyak, Giuseppe Albanese, Edicson Ruitz, Khatia Buniatishvili.

Le Stagioni Concertistiche più recenti hanno allargato l'attenzione della Società del Quartetto alla musica jazz ospitando artisti di livello internazionale quali John Taylor, Renato Sellani, Gianluigi Trovesi e Uri Caine. Va inoltre ricordata in tale contesto la prima rappresentazione assoluta in Italia dell'Opera Treemonisha di Scott Joplin, avvenuta il 14 aprile 2008.

L’anno 2004 ha segnato una svolta importante per la Società del Quartetto di Bergamo: in occasione di quella significativa scadenza è stato interamente ordinato e informatizzato l’archivio, è stato realizzato un volume che raccoglie l’intera attività del primo secolo di vita, è stata allestita una mostra documentaria e fotografica nonché realizzata una medaglia commemorativa.

Grazie al restauro della Sala Piatti è stato inoltre possibile effettuare la centesima stagione concertistica nella prestigiosa sede storica dei concerti.


HISTORICAL NOTES

First founded in 1875 by a number of eminent citizens, who essentially took up a tradition established by Giovanni Simone Mayr with the setting up of the Unione Filarmonica, the “Società del Quartetto” di Bergamo was constituted in 1904 with the intention of carrying on the activities of its predecessor of the same name. With the sole exception of 1918, “national reasons” justifying the omission, at least one concert season was organized starting out from January, 1905, with the invitation to Bergamo of many of the most illustrious national and international musical figures.

Thanks to the subscriptions of generous citizens, who then became outstanding members of the Sodalizio, the “re-founding” in 1904 also witnessed the fitting out and readying of the prestigious and acoustically perfect “A. Piatti” concert hall.

In more than a century of activity, the Società del Quartetto di Bergamo has acquired considerable artistic prestige and a commendable name abroad as well, so much so that not a few musicians deem it an honour to be its guest and invariably express appreciation for the special participatory attention with which they are welcomed. Among guest organizations and associations are the Concorso Pianistico lntemazionale “F. Busoni” of Bolzano and the International Violin Competition “Premio Paganini” of Genoa, besides for some twenty years the Concorso Pianistico lntenazionale “E. Pozzoli” of Seregno, whose winners were invited to the concert season. The Società del Quartetto di Bergamo can claim the merit of having presented in the town, often for the very first time, many of the most outstanding contemporary musical figures.

Among only the most celebrated, one finds names such as:
Miecio Horzowski, Eugene Ysaye, Ferruccio Busoni, Pablo Casals, Enrico Mainardi, Wilhelm Backhaus, Ottorino Respighi, the Budapest Quartet, Bela Bartok, Arthur Rubenstein, Edwin Fischer, Walter Gieseking, Zino Francescatti, the Busch Quartet, Antonio Janigro, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (near-debut in 1940), Wilhelm Kempf, the Quartetto ltaliano (1946), Alfred Cortot, the Trio di Bolzano, the Trio di Trieste, the Vegh Quartet, Nikita Magaloff, Robert Casdesus, Friedrich Gulda, Aldo Ciccolini, the Vienna Octet, Joseph Szigheti, Alexander Brailowsky, Walter Klien, Gioconda De Vito, William Primrose, Francis Poulenc, Eric Solomon, the Amadeus Quartet, Geza Anda, Claudio Arrau, the Lasalle Quartet, Tibor Varga, the Wiener Konzerthaus Quartet, the Solisti di Zagabria, the Trio Suk, the Tatrai Quartet, the Janacek Quartet, Sviatoslav Richter, Paul Badura Skoda, Paul Tortelier, Salvatore Accardo, Barry Tuckwell, Uto Ughi, Rudolf Buchbinder, Narciso Yepez, Roman Vlad, the Alban Berg Quartet, the Beaux Arts Trio, the Tel Aviv Quartet, Csaba Onczay, Jorge Demus, Liliya Zilberstein. Among guests in recent years, and for the first time in Bergamo, have been the Budapest Quartert, the Quartetto di Zagabria, David Geringas, the Emerson Quartet, the Trio Ceco, Silvia Marcovici, Boris Petrushansky, llya Grubert, Boris Bloch with the Amati Quartet, Colin Carr, the Moscow Trio, the Kodaly Quartet, Grigorij Sokolov, Lazar Bennan, Michele Campanella.

Traditionally special attention is reserved for young talent, among whom one may recall Giuseppe Andaloro, Fabio Bidini, Gianluca Luisi, Sofya Gulyak, Giuseppe Albanese, Edicson Ruitz, Khatia Buniatishvili; Gianluca Luisi, Fabio Bidini, Enrico Dindo, Michail Lifits, Stefano Montanari, Sergio Tiempo, Katrin Lecner, Francesca Dego, Federico Colli, Gabriele Cassone, Enrico Bronzi, Gloria Campaner, Irene Veneziano and Maristella Patuzzi.

In recent concert seasons, the attention of the Società has been extended to jazz music, with invitations to artists of international standing, such as John Taylor, Renato Sellani, Franco D’Andrea, Giorgio Gaslini, Gianluigi Trovesi, Enrico Pieranunzi, Gwilym Simcock, Yuri Goloubev and Uri Caine. ln this context, it might be worth recalling the very first Italian performance, on April 14, 2008, of Scott Joplin's opera “Treemonisha".

The year 2004 marked an important date for the Società del Quartetto di Bergamo, with significant steps being taken with the re-ordering and digitization of the complete archive; the putting together of a volume that covers the entire span of activity of the first century of life of the Società; the setting up of a documentary and photographic exhibition, as well as the issue of a commemorative medal.

Finally, the renovation of the Sala Piatti made it possible to hold the centennial concert season in the prestigious and historical home of the Società.



Con lo sviluppo della tecnica del basso continuo si costruirono varietà più grandi rispetto al liuto normale: il liuto tiorbato, la tiorba, il chitarrone, che, oltre alle normali corde avevano delle corde di bordone più gravi disposte al di fuori del manico e quindi in grado di riprodurre un unico suono.


THE LOGO

The musician angel is a detail from the great altar-piece (421 x 236 cm) painted in 1510 by Vittore Carpaccio (Venice 1460/5 — Capo d'lstria 1525/6) for the third altar on the right at the Chiesa di San Giobbe (Cannaregio) in Venice, which represents the “Presentazione di Gesu al Tempio”, currently to be found at the Gallerie dell'Accademia of Venice.

The angel plays a lute, a plucked string instrument of ancient Oriental origin first introduced in medieval Spain by the Arabs, that subsequently made its way throughout Europe, where it enjoyed a special popularity between the 16th. and 19th. Centuries.

In the present context, the lute is a renaissance model with a pear-shaped case closed by a platform at the centre of which there is a reverberation aperture ( a decoratively cut-out rose). The neck is somewhat wide and angled at about 90°, with the pegbox infixed at the end. The six gut-strings are able to produce five sounds - the five deeper sounds employ double strings tuned to the unison or the eighth. Although variable, the tuning generally follows the pattern sol, do, fa, la, re, sol. Despite the considerable complexity of the technique of execution, the lute was widely popular, both as a solo instrument as also one for accompanying the voice. The development of the technique of basso continuo or figured bass witnessed the introduction of larger varieties as compared to the normal lute: the teorba lute, the teorba, the chitarrone, the latter besides the normal strings having additional ones off the finger-board that were more grave and therefore able to reproduce a single sound.

While in Italy and Spain the fortune of the lute began to decline around the 16th. Century, the guitar replacing it in popularity, in France and Germany instead the instrument continued to enjoy considerable success in the following centuries.


Fin dalla sua fondazione (anno 1904) la Società del Quartetto di Bergamo scelse quale proprio “logo” l’angelo musicante che Vittore Carpaccio dipinse – tra altri due angeli che suonano rispettivamente il flauto dolce e la viola – nella fascia inferiore della grande pala (421 x 236) della “Presentazione di Gesù al Tempio” (anno 1510) per la Chiesa di San Giobbe (Cannaregio) in Venezia (ora conservata nelle Gallerie dell’Accademia).

Da sempre sotto il logo è la scritta:

“Musica laetitiae comes, medicina dolorum”
(Musica compagna della gioia, medicina dei dolori).

La scritta risale all’usanza seicentesca dei costruttori fiamminghi di clavicembali, virginali, spinette e clavicordi, di decorare tali strumenti musicali, all’esterno ad imitazione del marmo; ed all’interno con un motto in latino che, travalicando il mero ruolo ornamentale, testimonia spesso un mondo culturale e filosofico attraverso il quale si possono individuare ideali ed attitudini del tempo nei confronti della musica; così come altri aspetti più ampi della cultura artistica e letteraria.

Nel nostro caso il motto di cui sopra compare su clavicembali e spinette di Andreas Ruckers (1579-1652); in particolare in quelli costruiti nel 1624 e nel 1640.

Interessante notare che uno di questi strumenti venne raffigurato da Jan Vermeer van Delft (1632-1675) nel celebre dipinto del 1662 “La lezione di musica” ove, all’interno del coperchio si può leggere il motto della nostra Società.

Il bellissimo dipinto (olio su tela di cm 74 x 64,5) è conservato nelle collezioni reali a Buckingham Palace (Londra).

THE MOTTO

From the year of its foundation in 1904, the Società del Quartetto di Bergamo chose as its “logo” the musician angel, between two other angels who play, respectively, the recorder and the viola, the trio being located towards the lower end of the great altar-piece of the “Presentazione di Gesu al Tempio” (1510), painted by Vittore Carpaccio for the church of San Giobbe (Canareggio) in Venice and now preserved at the Gallerie dell'Accademia.

Beneath the logo are to be found the words:

“Musica laetitiae comes, medicina dolorum”
(Music companion of joy, balm for pain)

The inscription goes back to the seventeenth century custom of Flemish musical instrument makers of decorating with imitation marble exteriors their harpsichords, virginals, spinets and clavichords; while a motto in Latin inscribed on the inside went beyond the merely ornamental and bore witness to a sphere of culture and thought that sheds light on the ideals and attitudes of the time with regard not only to music but also to other, wider aspects of artistic and literary culture. ln the present instance the motto cited above is to be found on harpsichords and spinets by Andreas Ruckers (1579-1652); especially on those made in 1624 and 1640.

It is worth noting that one of these instruments makes its appearance in the celebrated painting “The Music Lesson” (1662) by Jan Vermeer van Delft (1632-1675), the inside of the cover bearing the motto of our Società del Quartetto.

The magnificient painting (oil on canvas, measuring 74 x 64.5 cm) is preserved in the Royal Collection at Buckingham Palace, London.

SOCIETÀ DEL QUARTETTO

Sede operativa
Piazzetta S.Bartolomeo, 5/a
24121 Bergamo

Tel: 035.243311
info@quartettobergamo.it

Presidente
rosa.avvocato@virgilio.it